MISSION OF THE PRAIRIE
We who carry on ministry at Our Lady of the Prairie Retreat provide hospitality and service in a sacred space of peace and beauty that promotes respect for all creation in the tradition of the Sisters of Humility. Individuals and groups of all faiths are invited to use our facilities and services.
To arrange private time at The Prairie, or to book the facilities of The Prairie for a group, contact [email protected] or phone (563) 336-8414.
Perhaps you would like a day to pray, write, read, hike, study nature, walk the labyrinth or simply relax in solitude. Individuals are welcome to spend a day or several days with comfortable and quiet overnight lodging available for reasonable cost.
Additionally, there are a variety of prairie sponsored programs offered throughout the year.
GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS
Churches find The Prairie useful for staff meetings, clubs, guilds and Bible study groups. Other organizations use The Prairie for personnel orientation, renewal meetings and workshops. Up to 30 people can be accommodated for group events of one day.
Reserve a date and plan your own program or request a presenter from a provided list.
Our Lady of the Prairie has two main victorian themed buildings, air-conditioned and with private overnight accommodations for 15 persons. The spacious grounds provide room for a number of unique facilities to promote renewal and healing.
- Victorian House houses staff facilities.
- Prairie Heights, with its wraparound porch and wooden rocking chairs, is an all-purpose conference facility with
- a Great Room that will accommodate up to 30 persons for a day-long program or meeting
- gas fireplace and breakfast nook
- windows with views of the woods and prairie grasses
- full kitchen and dining facilities
- eight private upstairs guest rooms with bath between each two
- a garden level apartment with full bath
- garden level meeting room adaptable for a variety of functions
- garden level chapel
- 37-inch flat screen TV for program DVD use
- wireless internet access
- The Labyrinth is an ancient sacred symbol. While walking the labyrinth, one enters into a mystery of the Circle of Life. Surrounded by nature, this is a place to pray, to heal, and to deepen awareness of life as a sacred journey.
- The Cosmic Walk is a 2 mile nature trail with 22 stone markers that tell creation's story taken from the book of Genesis and expanded with the insights of science.
- Way of the Cross invites guests to meditate on the 14 Stations of the Cross under the sky and amidst the trees.
- The Nature Pond offers a contemplative setting to sit and pray, reflect, sketch, paint, meditate or relax. Nearby is the statue of Mary, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom.
- The Gazebo is a screened meditation area large enough for several to enjoy – a great outdoor alternative for a group breakout session.
- Fields of natural prairie grass and the timber of the Iowa countryside provide an ideal setting for walks and private reflection. Guests will also enjoy a variety of birds and wild life, including deer, wild turkey, pheasants, squirrels and rabbits
- Benchs and birdhouses throughout make for a pleasant experience.
For groups that request, healthy nutritious meals are prepared with local foods and served by the staff. Individuals may also use kitchen facilities to prepare their own meals. Due to repeated requests for recipes served at the Prairie, you can now order our: "Spirit of the Prairie: Catering to the Soul" - cookbook filled with recipes from The Prairie Retreat. See our Books for more information on getting your copy! Books, Movies & Resources
Believing that every person needs opportunities for Stillness in his/her life, fees at The Prairie are designed to be affordable to all.
Our Lady of the Prairie has golf carts available for touring the grounds. The three levels of the Prairie Heights building are accessible by stairs which feature a lift chair.